Wednesday, December 2, 2009

And it was a Happy Thanksgiving

Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Hey how's it going? how was thanksgiving for all of you? I hope you "counted your blessings, and named them one by one." So this last week was a little bit longer because we didn't have your pday on the normal day of pday...but it was a great week, both finding new people and finding the true meaning of thanksgiving.

This past week I went on splits A LOT. I think I was in my own apartment 8 out of the 12 days, so I lived out of my suitcase. But I think that I have learned a lot from beings with the other Elders and finding a new way to do missionary work. Tuesday I had to go to 13 day training again, so that was the same old thing, except I went to the other meeting since I have been here for awhile. But my mission president pulled me out and decided to talk with me and it was great. I can't believe how inspired he is and I have come to know that he has been called from the Lord. We talked about the work and where he wanted me to be in the future, and not going to lie I'm a little nervous for the things to come. But I know that the Lord doesn't give any commandment unless we provides a way that we can overcome it. So hopefully I will be ready and prepared enough to do the things that he is going to ask me to do. Saturday I went on splits with my Zone Leader and it went great! Was nervous at first so that I didn't make any mistakes but I truely saw what the other programs are like. Wow. haha. That's all I can say. We tracted all day pretty much and it was hard trying to get people to listen and/or accept our cards. It just amazes me how people are so confused and are following silly traditions but then don't believe in it. But that is what we are hear for :)

Now for the personal things I have learned this past thanksgiving week. In spanish we say el Acción de Gracias, which the direct translation would be the action of thanks. And I think that I have truely understood the way we should be thankful for. With the challenge that our mission president has given us, which is to read the Book of Mormon and the New Testament, before new years, all of us are crampt trying to finish both of them before that time. I'm starting to catch up but I'm still behind, but I came upon a scripture that we use as missionaries all the time. This scripture is Alma 34:38 and it talks about how the Holy Ghost works and how we should act upon it. I have read this scripture a million times and I think I have finally figured out how to apply it. "That ye contend no more against the Holy Ghost, but that ye receive it, and take upon you the name of Christ (which is what we do when we get baptized); that ye humble yourselves even to the dust (we already have done that when we get baptized), and worship God (baptismal commitment again), in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you." But I think that we forget the "live in thanksgiving daily" part and I have come to understand that it is the most important part. Because it also says "for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you." That is the part that I have learned. When we pray we ask for blessings but how many times have we been blessed and not noticed what we already have? But that's not all. When we think of everything that the Lord Jesus Christ has dominion over, He is over everything but there is one thing, one specific that our Heavenly Father has asked us, His children, to do...and that's pray directly to him. Not to His Only Begotten Son, but directly to Him. Doesn't that put more perspective on how important prayer is? And doesn't that make it seem more important to say thanks for the things we already have to our Heavenly Father? I found that to be very impactful in my life, especially since the mission isn't the easiest thing in the world.
Here is a picture! Well I hope all is well, and I can't wait to hear from all of you :) Love you all and take care of yourselves! Oh and be happy!

Elder Leavell

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates