Monday, December 14, 2009

Getting a hug from a drunk guy...an interesting event

Monday, December 14, 2009
Hello Hello everyone,

So this week was another awkward week since we had to plan around a bunch of things but it's amazing how the Lord has blessed the work, even though we haven't had a bunch of time to work.

This past week we have been working really hard on Luis, who is 14 and through teaching him I have discovered the tip of the ice berg of why I'm here in Los Angeles. Luis has been having the Jehovah Witnesses come over every wednesday to teach him english, so us coming over hasn't been the most ideal situation for him. As we were teaching him I felt like I was looking at myself, looking at the same situation that I was in as I was trying to discover what the Lord wanted me to do with my life. Luis, since he is young, doesn't really understand fully the importance of this is, but I know that the Lord has truly testified to him that this is His church. As we got to know him, he was really stuck on the teachings of the Jehovah Witnesses and wasn't really willing to change. But as I shared my experiences with him, the Lord blessed him through me so that he can could know that there was a need for change. We talked with him the other day and he asked the Jehovah Witnesses to stop coming over and he is reading the Book of Mormon. To me there is nothing greater than that :)

On thursday, we decided that we would go through the area book and see who is interested, who has moved, etc so that day we were meeting a lot of people. On our way to one of our appointments a guy yelled across the street, "are you the missionaries I've been looking for?"-And of course we said yes- so he ran up to us, well let me be more specific...he wobbled over to us to say hello. Now I've talked to drunk people but this man was TOTALLY gone. He kept saying "forgive me, forgive me" and since I was the only one who knows spanish I got the privalage to talk to him. As we were talking he admitted that he was drunk and that he has lost his family for it, and as I was talking to him he looked up at me and said "ángel podrias pedonarme?" (which means Angel will you forgive me?) and then he fell to my feet. I can't explain how awkward that was but what made it even more awkward was that a whole crowd of people were watching. Just my luck huh? SO....I asked him to stand up and told him that we should not worship anyone but God and that we must prepare for the celebration of the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ. He smiled and then said, "oh ángel yo se que hay un celebración y se llama...." and I said "Christmas." For some reason I thought that would help the situation but to make the story short, me filling in his words made him think I was more of an angel because I could read his mind and gave me a hug for a long time. But that got me thinking that maybe he did. Since we are representatives of the Lord, Jesus Christ, maybe he saw the Savior's countenance in me, even though he was drunk he still thought he saw something. So yeah that might have been awkward but I know that the Lord blessed him through me, just as what happened with Luis, and I pray that that man will see the need to change so that he can live with our Heavenly Father again.

I love you and miss you all! I pray that we may be blessed with the countenance of the Savior so that we may be able to bless the lives of others. I know the Church is true.

Elder Leavell

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates