Monday, January 25, 2010

WOOO HOOO!

Monday, January 25, 2010
So let me first off say sorry that I didn't send an email last week. Things got a little crazy with the whole getting a computer at the library so I didn't get a chance to write something for my blog. But how is everyone doing? I hope all of you have had a good week.

Alright so a lot of things have gone down over here, some good and some bad and some well different. Since we have been flushing we haven't had the luxary of working with anyone in particular that has been worked with before. But we have been blessed with the opportunity to find some people who have gone less active and we are starting to see success with that. Also, we have had the opportunity to get to know some of the members that are in areas and the wonderful thing about that is that we are getting referrals from them, which is great because tracting doesn't really work for us. This past week has been a great week in general and I know that if we continue being diligent in the work that we will find success in what we are doing.

On the 20th we had zone conference so that took up most of our day but it was amazing. It was great seeing all the people I was with in South Bay but most of all the messages and the trainings that were done really hit home. Sister Blackburn talked about attitude and how that affects our missions. She further explained that all of us as missionaries have a challenge, have a bump or rather mountain, set in front of us to test how we react and how we react determines the blessings that we are going to get. But something that she explained after made me think about how many blessings I don't see in my life right now. She said that the reason why we don't get some of the blessings isn't a fact that we don't receive them but because our minds are to centered on ourselves and that is why we don't "receive" the blessings from our loving Heavenly Father. So that was a great talk from her. Then we heard from President and he talked about the importance of the Book of Mormon. But after zone conference, I got talk with him and it went great.

Then throughout the rest of the week we found some great less active families, as I said before. One of them are the Lopez family. They are great! The mom has to work on sundays so she will change she just doesn't know it yet. The kids after talking with them are WAY chill and even came to church this last sunday because I was blunt with them :) The other family, the Bernals, are a part member and Kevin is another way cool kid and we were talking and he said he will get baptized, we are just working out his date since he wants to get baptized in July. He is just being lame, oh well, but we will talk more with him tomorrow and he said that he will decide what he wants to do by then. Gosh I love all the families here.

For my "spiritual thought" I decided to talk about something that I've learned from the book my parents sent me, Mere Christianity. It's a great book, I highly recommend it. Anyways, the book is just awesome at explaining the importance of why there is a God? and why there could not not be a God? But something that stood out to me was that he said that without the knowledge of moral law and that is one of the ways that we know there is a God. He explained that whatever we do, we put to a standard, whether we say that I'm better than someone else etc. He then left the question where did that standard start? We obviously we cannot determine where because we didn't create it but he later explained that the reason why we make excuses is because we are seeking an "excuse" from the moral law. He said, "There is nothing indulgent about the Moral Law. It is as hard as nails...If God is like the Moral Law, then He is not soft." When I read this it made me think about the talk given by Dallin H. Oaks about Love and Law. Elder Oaks gave a couple of examples about how love can also mean the enforcement of a law. One example was, "A youth reacts to parental commands or pressure by declaring, “If you really loved me, you wouldn’t force me.” He later commented that some gifts from our Heavenly Father are not given to us by our obidience but because God loves us so much. "Mortality is one such gift, bestowed on all who qualified in the War in Heaven. Another unconditional gift is the universal resurrection: “For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive” (1 Corinthians 15:22)." But as we know that some of them are determined by our obidience, such as baptism, going to the temple, and most of all the wonderful opportunity to be united with our families. All the choice blessings are based on our obidience. This is something that I'm learning because as we have been diligent and obidient we have receive so many blessings to meet new people and receiving referrals from the members. I know that if we are all obidient to the commandments and we repent-for that was the first message that the Savior taught during his earthly ministry- we can be blessed beyond belief because that is the greatest disire of our Heavenly Father. Of this I testify in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

I love you all so much and I miss you so much as well. I only wish you could see the people that we are working with and seeing the changes that they are making in coming closer to Christ, and by them doing that you can see their countenance change and that is the greatest feeling ever. I love this gospel so much. I hope you take care and have a wonderful week!

Elder Leavell

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates