Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Sickness a blessing from God

Tuesday, March 2, 2010
So can i get a WOO HOO??!! Alright thanks. I'm so happy to say that I've overcome my sickness that I have had for the past few weeks! And you know what that means...I get to work at 100% again...YAY! Gosh I don't want to get sick ever again it sucks having to stay home for long periods of time but as I look back this sickness has been a blessing because I have learned so much and I got the opportunity to reevaluate some things.

Alright this past week, at least at the beginning, went by really slow because I was sick and even during zone conference, so that was a major bummer. Even though I felt I was going to die during zone conference it was awesome and it truely testified to me once again that our leaders are inspired by our Savior, Jesus Christ. The main theme for our zone conference was building ourselves so that our character reflects our countenance. The two main talks that I want to talk about are from the President and his wife.

Sister Blackburn talked abou character and if there were three words that could summarize her definition of character they would be: honesty, honor, and integrity. She continued to explain that character and obidience go hand in hand because the true test of both doesn't come when people are watching but when we are alone. To me, when that was mentioned, I thought of the 13th Article of Faith, which says:
"We believe in being honest,
true,
chaste,
benevolent,
virtuous,
and in doing goodto all men...
if there is anything
virtuous,
lovely,
or of good report or
praiseworthy,
we seek after these things."
There is nothing greater than a person who actually does it and we know that through the example of Jesus Christ we gain motivation to do such things. Obviously it's not easy but it's certainly worth it in the long run. Then, Sister Blackburn being a mother gave us a visual example with candy (she knows how to capture our attention really well haha). In her visual aid she had two easter bunny and she proceeded cutting them, one was hollow and one was solid, then she asked is this hollow bunny worth anything when you could have a solid one to eat? How true is that? I mean what worth would it have been if Lehi and his family ate of the tree of life and the fruit were hollow? Laman and Lemuel, still wouldn't have chosen the right way, but they wouldn't have faced the disappointment of a hollow prize: fruit without the substance. She then said we need to do the right things for the right reasons not just because we have no other option in fear of getting caught. I know she was talking to us, as missionaries, but I also know that she was talking to everyone, even normal members of the church.
Then it was President's turn and he talked about the atonement. He started by reading a scripture in Doctrine & Covenants 76, which says:
"40 And this is the gospel, the glad tidings, which the voice out of the heavens bore record unto us— 41 That he came into the world, even Jesus, to be crucified for the world, and to bear the sins of the world, and to sanctify the world, and to cleanse it from all unrighteousness; 42 That through him all might be saved whom the Father had put into his power and made by him;"
He said that is our purpose as missionaries. Without Him we would have nothing and with Him we are everything. Jesus Christ died on the cross for all of man kind because there was no other way due to the inmeasureable amount of love he had and has for us; therefore, giving him no option in doing it or not. That is perfect love. So great was His love that all of His decisions and options have Him one option: to help us in our quest for perfection.
So after the uplifting zone conference the next two days went by extremely fast, We got a lot done and found some new people to teach. But this past Sunday I faced the fear of all fears of missionary work: interpreting for Church. haha. Turns out it's not an advantage being a native in both languages because you end up interpreting, whether you like it or not haha. Just playing it was honor but it was funny seeing how fast the other missionaries disappeared when the Stake President asked one of us to interpret for the ward conference (those jerks). Great experience even though I felt bad for the ones that were listening to me.
In general this past week, with zone conference and interpreting at church, was a really good week. Although it's not easy I know that in the long run I will never regret this decision because every day I come to know more and more that the Church is true. I love and miss you all and hope you have a great week!
Elder Leavell

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates