Monday, May 24, 2010

Door Approach Change: Do You Live in My Area?

Monday, May 24, 2010
HELLO FAMILY & FRIENDS how are all of you doing? Not a lot of things have happened over the past few days since the last time I emailed you was Wednesday but none the less there are a couple of updates with our investigators and things that are happening in our area. But first off I want to say to all of you thanks for all the mail, now Mom and Dad I got the BIG box so don't worry too much, it got here. But I haven't opened it yet and it is so hard not to! I'm trying to see if I can wait and test my patience but the more and more I look at it, the more and more tempting it is. Ahh. Doubt I will make it but we will see how long I last haha.

Anyways back to the mission haha...ummm...things have been a little rough around over here and there is one reason for that: we can't find people in our area. It's literally INSANE! But let me first talk about the other day I went on splits. Since splits are 12 to 12 now, things started out a little awkward and late, which is the downside of having them that way. But when we finally got things going, they went great. Elder Thiriot is from England and way chill. Turns out we have a friend in common, Elder Hansen or in other normal terms Spencer Hansen. It was soo funny because as we were talking he said that he had a friend from Vegas when he was up in the dorms at BYU. I said "really? who?" then he started saying his name "Spencer..." and then I finished the name by saying "Hansen?" haha it was funny seeing his reaction but it was way cool that everyone is connected one way or another. When I was with Elder Thiriot we didn't get much done because no one was home and all the people that he had appointments with fell threw. Bummer. But of course while I'm on splits things changed up. The Zone Leaders called us and asked if we could go on splits even though we were already on splits and once again I went with Elder Gardner, "The black chocolate." I think I'm starting to get used to being flopped all over the place and going with it, sad, but I know that it will be handy in the future. Anyways while I was with Elder Gardner all his appointments fell threw (hope that is the right one) and so we started tracting around where the appointment was. While we were tracting we decided to walk in a random apartment building that the gate was opening because a car was coming through. It was funny because all Elder Gardner said to me is there and I walked through and then let him in the front door. Haha. Oh well got to talk to everyone because this message is soo important. When we finally started knocking most of the people didn't want to talk, "busy" they said, but then finally one of them did. We started talking about the Book of Mormon and how with that book we can come to a greater understand of why things happened in the Bible and therefore coming closer to our Heavenly Father. He accepted it but didn't accept it. He said it would be great to have and great to read, he just felt that he needed to concentrate on the Bible because he already feels overwhelmed. We tried explaining that it would help his studies but no luck there. I think that that was the best lesson that I had taught in awhile and I think that it was the only lesson I taught that day in general. I'm slacking huh? Then after trying all that Elder Gardner had to wait for his real companion that was in an interview for someone who was getting baptized this past Sunday. That took forever but it didn't feel like it because everyone was there waiting. Elder Gishie and Elder Brantley, who were on splits, Elder Thiriot and the two of us were all there waiting. It's always fun to have other missionaries around.

OK back to my area. It's ridiculous. Because our area is so small we walk everywhere now, which is good but at the same time everyone that we come in contact with is OUTSIDE OF OUR AREA! Literally! Yesterday we were walking to a members home and we ran into a person that was interested in bringing people from his work because he was a member. Turns out he lives outside of our area. Then we went to another members home that we recently found and the boyfriend who is always there lives outside our area. Even Tracy and the fam live outside of our area. Shh. Nah they know and everything is good. It's just way frustrating because everyone is outside of our area and we don't know why. We are going to ask our mission president if our purpose, like us two, can change to instead of baptizing to finding people so that other people can baptize haha.

Now for something that I found interesting while I was reading the scriptures. As LDS we believe that the fall of Adam and Eve was a blessing. Before I thought that it was only a Book of Mormon doctrine but in my studies of the Old Testament that I'm now doing I realized something that I hadn't before, the Bible supports that belief. In the book of Genesis, chapters 1 to 3, it talks about the creation and the fall and as we all know the tree of knowledge of good and evil was a bad tree to eat. I want to take some time looking at that. In the Book of Mormon it says that the reason why it was a blessing is because Adam and Eve were innocent and therefore couldn't have kids, not because that they couldn't but they didn't know how. Genesis 2:25 says: "And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed." Now this doesn't necessarily say that they were innocent but as we continue reading we find more pieces of the puzzle. Genesis 3:1-7 says:"Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden: But of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons." When Adam and Eve were in the garden they were naked, not "as the gods" knowing good and evil. Even God himself said "And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil..." This proves in a sense that they lacked knowledge, at a degree. God knew that we would fall. He is the Almighty, Alpha and Omega, the fall was part of the plan, I know it because He is all-knowing and without that knowledge He wouldn't be God since that knowledge would be above Him. I thought that that was very interesting because it shows us what our potential is. I love this gospel soo much.

Alright I love you all. Till next week.

Elder Leavell

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates