Monday, May 10, 2010

Our All Knowing Heavenly Father

Monday, May 10, 2010
Thanks sooo much for all the emails and mail that you all have sent me! You don't know how much it means to me, I'll make it up to all of you somehow. Promise...haha. Anyways this last week has been another amazing week. Ahhh! It's so amazing to see how many blessings are literally POURING from Heaven on us, even though we are most certainly not worthy of them.

Any who this week started out really really well. We started with 17 investigators, of which 4 of them we have dropped and a couple of them will need to start moving soon, otherwise, we will have to drop themas well. Bummer. I hate dropping people, it's the worst feeling ever but I know that it is needed and worthwhile in the end. Sadly Ivan and Isabel were some of the people we dropped. They said they didn't like church because it doesn't have the same feeling as the Catholic church; therefore, they concluded that they didn't want to go back.But here is the catch...she still remembers the feeling that she got when we first started with them and she remembers how she told us that she loved church and the messages that were presented. To me they were almost inspired. I guess from what my companion told me, the sacrament talks were on pride and anger, which for them is prefect because,well, Ivan has a problem. I think that she is too scared of what the things to come will bring, even though she doesn't want to admit it.So after talking for her, for a little, we talked about Lehi's vision,more specifically, the four groups that are explained in the Book of Mormon. She understood it really well and so we left her with a question, which one are you? It hit her like a rock and said she would give church another shot. Unfortunately they didn't come and so things will be stopped with them. Sad day. This leafs me to the next person we dropped, Earny. So we found this guy at the grocery store on Monday and he changed his mind on being interested since we last tracted his house. He is interested now. Whoo Hoo! So we thought. We proceeded to teach him, of course, about the Restoration and it was sooo awesome because all the questions he asked could be answered with the Restoration. "Why are there so many churches?" "How can I know Joseph Smith is a true prophet?" "How can I know that God really does love me?" Sick huh? We asked him to be baptized on June 6th and he agreed. BUT THEN we visited him later on in the week and guess what happened?!He backed off the whole idea of being baptized because he is not church guy and doesn't want to change even knowing that he was breaking one of the commandments. Oh well guess he wasn't prepared for us after all. Tony is also going to be dropped because he also didn't come to church and to be honest we should have dropped him awhile ago.I guess since we saw so much potential in him we didn't want to let it go but hopefully he will realize what he is missing out on and do the things he needs to do in the near future.

As far as our "good" investigators, Tracy, Dalton, and Alysha are doing the best. They are in all reality are the most solid investigators we have. They can't wait to be baptized and the best part about it was that they said they knew it was true. On Thursday we talked about the movie with them and discussed the things that they loved about it and the things they learned. The kids liked it but Tracy had something more she wanted to say. She said, "Those people must have had great faith to follow Joseph Smith despite loosing their family, their homes, their lives, everything. I don't think I could have done that. And Joseph Smith...I guess it has to be...that man lost 4 of his children and suffered a lot. What great faith." After she said that I asked her what she was going to say after I guess it has to be... She replied, "It has to be true." No more needs to be said, all I know is that I can't wait for her baptism! Another one of our promising investigators is Lucinda. No-she didn't get baptized this past Sunday but she is still moving along. She went out of town for a week for a funeral, so we couldn't complain. The funny thing is that every time she leaves we are sooo scared for her because we don't know if that she will come back alive. I mean she is 81 years old, shies close to the other side haha. Hopefully she will come back safely so that we can teach and baptize her.

For my spiritual side of the email I wanted to talk about something that I have discovered in my personal study. The other day I was reading in Isaiah 29, which is also in the Book of Mormon. As I was reading the chapters it didn't make much sense, of course, but luckily I have a book to help me out a little (haha more like a lot). Anyways I want to share with you three verses that say: "But behold, I prophesy unto you concerning the last days; concerning the days when the Lord God shall bring these things forth unto the children of men. After my seed and the seed of my brethren shall have dwindled in unbelief, and shall have been smitten by the Gentiles; yea, after the Lord God shall have camped against them round about, and shall have laid siege against them with a mount, and raised forts against them; and after they shall have been brought down low in the dust, even that they are not, yet the words of the righteous shall be written, and the prayers of the faithful shall be heard, and all those who have dwindled in unbelief shall not be forgotten. For those who shall be destroyed shall speak unto them out of the ground, and their speech shall be low out of the dust, and their voice shall be as one that hath a familiar spirit; for the Lord God will give unto him power, that he may whisper concerning them, even as it were out of the ground; and their speech shall whisper out of the dust." Never before has a prophecy been more truly fulfilled. Joseph Smith found the sacred history "out of the ground" with the guidance of the angel Moroni. This is the voice of the ancient people, the ancient prophets of America and in a sense it speaks to us "out of the ground" and their voice is "low out of the dust." But the amazing part is how our Heavenly Father is all knowing and His work is perfect and we know this is speaking about the Book of Mormon because it fulfills the prophesy that a familiar spirit is left when we read the words it contains. Orson Pratt once asked "In what manner could a nation, after they were brought down and destroyed, "speak out of the ground?" Could their dead bodies or their dust, or their ashes speak? Verily, no: they can only speak by their writings or their books that they wrote while living. Their voice, speech or words, can only "speak out of the ground," or "whisper out of the dust" by their books or writings being discovered."

I love you all and I can't wait to hear from you all next week.
Elder Leavell

Here are some pictures :)
I ALMOST GOT HIT BY A RANDOM PALM TREE BRANCH THE OTHER DAY!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates