Monday, June 14, 2010

Hasta La Vista South Bay Zone

Monday, June 14, 2010
Alright this is the moment you have all been waiting for. TRANSFERS! So normally I would say that I have not been an ordinary missionary and there are many reasons why I say that but staying in one zone for a year of the mission is anything but ordinary. That all came to an end this transfer because I'm now in Peninsula Zone. It was great news that I would finally get a change but now that time has set in it has started to be such a bummer because that is the place that I have always been and it is different now. Anyways how have you all been? Any big changes over there in the LV?

First weeks of the transfer are always the most difficult ones, especially when you are flushing. This is my second time doing it but either way it is really difficult when your area is so big. The area that I'm covering now is Wilmington-now you might say that is small but that isn't the only area in my area. I cover from the ocean (Redondo Beach) to the Harbor (Mormon Island). So imagine a BIG "L" and that is what my area looks like. So because of this we decided to change the name of the area to The Mermaid. Haha. Funny thing is that it really does look like a mermaid since the bottom of the area is in the shape of a fin. Enough geography. Due to the changes in the mission, going from bilingual to separate, has made it very difficult because both Elder Richins (my new companion) and I are flushing the area, meaning we are new to the area. The cool part is that we absorbed a bunch of areas and have a lot of investigators from the Sister missionaries and some Elders. I would talk about them but I really haven't gotten the chance to meet them really well, but suffice to say we have about 10 investigators and 3 have baptismal dates for the coming month. Pressure is on to continue that. Funny thing is that literally every couple minutes we would get a call from the Sisters and the other Elders "oh hey umm...sorry I haven't called you before but you have an appointment at such and such. hope you can make it." It was nice but insane at the same time because we got really over booked and had to reschedule a bunch of appointments. I haven't even gotten the chance to unpack because of all the appointments and all the meetings that we have to go to. But there is a couple of people that I got to meet that seem to have some potential. One of them is a family of 5. The wife's name is Guadalupe and she is the most interested out of all of them. The husband was drunk when we got their but turns out that he has a really active sister in Mexico that is a member of the church, so he is a little interested but it will be interesting how we get him off the booz. Then the other person that seems a little bit more interested is Guadalupe. I actually haven't gotten the opportunity to meet her but I have talked to her on the phone and she seems really excited to learn more about the gospel. But somethign that was really intereting was that on the first day we found 2 people that want to know and then the most amazing thing happened. We were sitting in our car, after tracting for about an hour, trying to figure where we should go next when a random person comes up to us. He first started out by saying thank you for everything that you do but then he started talking about church. he said that he hadn't been to church in awhile but that he wanted to get back to church. We invited him to come to church with us and he said "I'm catholic but I think I can do that." It was so awesome and random haha. I'm so excited to see what comes from all the investigators and hopefully we won't let anyone down. Unfortunately it gets worse. I think that I'm cursed with the curse of "terrible first weeks." I got to the area and the phone was already sketchy but manageable. Turns out that it was more sketchy than I thought. When we were calling the office and saying that our phone was about to break everything was fine. Then we dropped the phone and then the screen came off. I don't know what I do to phones but things like this just happen. The funny thing is that it still works. We have been using it like that for a couple of days now. The only thing is that you can't talk and listen at the same time. Meaning you can't leave it on speaker when we're talking. Haha. Got to love ghetto. But that is all I really know about the area, I'm sure next week I will have much more to say.

I love you all and I will miss you. Hope you have a great week!

Elder Leavell

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates