Monday, August 2, 2010

What It Do

Monday, August 2, 2010
Well hello there I hope you are enjoying your fantastic summer vacation. It's most wonderful being on the mission during the summer, feeling the ocean breeze and seeing everyone doing their thing. Not jealous at all haha. Seriously I hope you are all enjoying the summer break and most of all that you are all happy.

As for me, this week has been like every other week. Starting to pick up the area up again and so I'm way excited for that. Hopefully some baptisms in the near future :) That would be way sick but I'm starting to realize I'm a sower not a reaper, so we shall see. As I said last week I mentioned that President would be coming with us for a lesson and it went great. On Thursday President Baker came over with us to teach Gerardo Morales. President was running late so we went in ahead to get things started and when we got in the daughter and her husband went upstairs but Gerardo, the dad, came out. Apparently there was some miscommunication and they didn't think we were coming over, but who knows. We taught a solid lesson about recognizing the spirit. We explaining it by using the story of Jonah, saying that at first he was following the commandments, otherwise he wouldn't have been called as a prophet, until the Lord asked him to do something difficult. We continued by saying the instant he decided to go the other way the spirit left him until he was caught in the belly of a fish. Upon entering the fish he felt guilt and felt like he was in the eternal pit but as he asked forgiveness he received the spirit back by feeling peace and the love of God again. We emphasized those feelings and said that is what we feel when the spirit touches us, warm and peaceful. The spirit was so strong and I know that he really enjoyed it. President Baker then did something really interesting, he asked us then what happened to the city he went to preach to? We answered by saying they all converted to the Father. Then President said something I never thought of, he said that because he allowed himself to be a humble tool, the spirit poured down and a grand miracle happened. When we use our faith, we bless others. Thought that was interesting. He then complimented him for having a sincere spirit and told us after that he might take awhile but he'll get there. I was way nervous at first but didn't show it like my companion who before was tripping out haha. Goof. It was well worth the anxiety because now I'm hooked. I want to do that every time I can from now on because there was a special spirit, I guess I could say a spirit of authority there and I know that it could touch many lives. The cool thing about Gerardo is that he is sooo humble and willing to do anything that we ask him to do. He has come to church twice already and says that he enjoys it a lot, said that it is just like the Catholic church. The only worry with him I have is that I don't think he really understands the entire authority thing or at least he hasn't received his divine answer from our Heavenly Father. We have been wanting to give him a baptismal date because he will receive blessings from making a commitment to change his life in accordance with the standards if out Heavenly Father. That is where Otto is at, as well, unfortunately. He hasn't wanted to keep a baptismal date, even though he is doing everything we ask him to do. We took him to a baptism this last Saturday and I pulled him aside to talk with him. He opened up to me, somewhat, and said that he felt something different and hopefully he realized that it was the promptings of the Holy Ghost. He asked some really great questions during the baptism like is that the same way I will be baptized? What is the atonement? I feel like he wants to do it but at the same time doesn't want to relinquish control to something or someone else. For example, we had a two hour lesson with him answering questions and explaining the church organization but at the end he just wanted to goof off. The Lord I think is trying to teach
me a lesson of patience because everyone goes dang slow over here and it's sooo frustrating. So pray for both of our investigators, we have a lesson with the entire Morales family and we need it to go well so that they can feel the spirit, so that, in turn, they can all be baptized at the same time and we need to find the switch that is in Otto to help motivate him to do the things that our Heavenly Father has asked from us. But more importantly pray for us, as missionaries, that we may have the inspiration and power to know what to teach so that the spirit can impact them the most.

I heard this story the other day and I thought that I would share it with all of you.

There once was a little boy who wanted to meet God. He knew it was a long trip to where God lived, so he packed his suitcase with Twinkies and a six-pack of root beer and he started his journey.

When he had gone about three blocks, he met an old woman. She was sitting in the park just staring at some pigeons. The boy sat down next to her and opened his suitcase. He was about to take a drink from his root beer when he noticed that the old lady looked hungry, so he offered her a Twinkie. She gratefully accepted it and smiled at him. Her smile was so pretty that the boy wanted to see it again, so he offered her a root beer. Once again she smiled at him. The boy was delighted ! They sat there all afternoon eating and smiling, but they never said a word.

As it grew dark, the boy realized how tired he was and he got up to leave, but before he had gone more than a few steps, he turned around, ran back to the old woman and gave her a hug. She gave him her biggest smile ever. When the boy opened the door to his own house a short time later, his mother was surprised by the look of joy on his face. She asked him, "What did you do today that made you so happy?" He replied, "I had lunch with God." But before his mother could respond, he added, "You know what? She's got the most beautiful smile I've ever seen!"

I hope that we all may be an answer to someone's prayer every day, that we may bring the spirit of joy into the world. I know that what we do as missionaries is just that, we bring people closer to Christ, which brings them closer to our Heavenly Father and that is the secret to our happiness. I hope that you all have a wonderful and that all is well where all of you may be. Till next week.

Elder Leavell

Activity in a Lighthouse.

Nancy's Baptism

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates