Monday, October 4, 2010

Spiritually Nourished

Monday, October 4, 2010
Ahhhh another preparation day to update all of you on the most wonderful week I have had, what a privilege this is for all of you haha. But really. This week has been, if I say so myself, especially the weekend because it was GENERAL CONFERENCE! Hopefully all of you had the opportunity to see conference, it was great and hopefully all of you are doing well and are enjoying life.

I want to take a moment and shout out: HAPPY BIRTHDAY DREW! Hope it's the best one yet.

Alright now back to business, our area is slowly picking up speed and our teaching pool is getting bigger. As we have been going through the ward directory and trying to establish contact with all the members in our area, we came across a family (I probably mentioned them last week but oh well). We finally were able to meet with them and they are great! They remind me so much of you Mom and Dad, it's crazy. We were there for about 2 hours getting to know them and waiting since they wanted to stuff us. I'm gaining weight by the way. We were talking with them, enjoying a normal conversation and then they switched the topic to the church. Usually that doesn't happen even though they know why we are there. Turns out that the wife and the kids are not members and the interesting part is that they are both adopted like me. The daughter is struggling a bit with the idea that she is adopted and the Mom was so happy to know that I was too, she said, "I know someone would come along and you are no coincidence." Unfortunately, the daughter wasn't there but hopefully in the coming week we will have the opportunity to talk and get to know each other. Back to when church came up. The wife is Catholic but is a bit concerned about how much the church has changed since she was a little girl. She told us (this blew our minds by the way) that the Catholic church is now discouraging infant baptisms and is doing baptism by immersion, that they are also discouraging "rosar"-ing, forgot the word in English, but are teaching the members to pray like us, as Christians, also, they are having Bible Studies and telling members to have scripture study everyday just like us, and finally, they are making every youth thing, like first communion etc, like Personal Progress and Duty to God. It's was really weird because as they were describing everything it was almost as if it were our church...thought that was interesting. Anyways she said she was concerned because of all of this but was really happy to see her husband go from less active and now is starting to open up the scriptures. We invited them to come to General Conference and they said they would go and were excited to hear what the leaders had to say. Sadly they didn't come. The other person that we have established contact with is Otto. Yes, that is a familiar name, he was investigating the church a couple of months ago and we finally got a hold of him. He is doing well. We ended up talking with him for awhile and he said that his main concern with the church isn't a concern, but is himself. He said that because he isn't a religious person he doesn't want to do anything. We told him that he should go to the singles ward to try to meet people his age, he said he would. The cool thing is that the Chacon's have been talking with his parents and in the near future we will be able to talk to them and see where things go. They seem like a really nice family. Apparently, Otto's mom likes me a lot because she thinks that I'm a serious goof like she is. Haha the funny thing is that I haven't even talked to her once, just said hello haha.

That is everything about the area, Conference was great though. Gerardo Jr. came along with us for most of them. He fell asleep but, at least, his is showing an example to his peers and his parents. His Dad came for the Priesthood session and unfortunately he fell asleep too. What makes things worse is that his mom never went to any of them! Freak. People these days are very interesting, they want something but then do nothing about it. The main things that I took from conference were (1) follow the prophet because he is the mouthpiece of our Lord and Master and won't lead us astray, (2) be better, (3) be thankful for everything, but don't inhale it (President Uchtdorf), (4) being 100% obedient is easier than 98%, and (5) never look back. It was a different feeling during conference this time around. I loved how President Uchtdorf talked about a tree and then said "now you are all probably wondering how this has to deal with a plan...let me explain" haha. That was classic. I'm glad that our leaders know to be actual people. It makes it more personal and for me, makes me feel like I could obtain the same. I'm so thankful that we have a living prophet today that speaks to God face to face. It is a wonderful blessing especially with all these confusing and misguiding ideas of what we should believe and not believe. I know that everything can be answered through prayer and that I have prayed to know if it is true and I know I received such an answer. I know Thomas S. Monson is God's prophet that he is lead by the Savior Jesus Christ and that the 12 apostles are helpers for the cause of the Lord. Even if we are not members we can take things from the things that were spoken at this last conference and apply them in our lives and we will become better for they are true words.

I love you all and I'm hopeful for the future. I know that it will bring many blessings for all of us. May the Lord be with you family and friends, as well as all who read this. Till next week.

Elder Leavell

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates