Monday, February 21, 2011

The Field is White Already to Harvest

Monday, February 21, 2011
Dang I probably say this every time but I can't believe that another week has gone by. The mission is going by way too fast and I certainly don't like it too much. There are so many things that I want to accomplish before the end of my mission and it feels like there isn't enough time. If only I could wish for more time. That would be the dream. I hope that all of you have had a wonderful week this week. It's crazy hearing about people coming back home. Can't believe it.

Anyways I always seem to forget to mention transfers the week before but we had them last week and my companion made me so nervous! Man, he was all worried that he was going to get moved to another area for his last area and was way bummed about it. I tried to keep it cool and not think about it too much. But the Tuesday before the tension was so high until Elder Hodell found the transfer paper in the Zone Leader's apartment right below us. It was great to hear that I would be staying in the area for another transfer. This area is the bomb.com. For sure. All the members are amazing and right now we are being so blessed because the Lord is literally placing people in our path that are interested in learning about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. We had 4 investigators come to church this last week and it was amazing. There is really no greater feeling than that of being blessed with the opportunity to teach people something that is so dear to us. I know that through our efforts that the Lord can truly bless His children by helping them come closer unto Him. I have learned so much about the gospel this past week and just as the scriptures say I have a greater desire to share because of the understanding that I have received. I want to first talk about a girl named Kasey Brown. She is Scott Carlston's girlfriend, who is from the UCLA Student Ward. Ends up that lived in Vegas and went to Palo for two years until she moved over here to California where she met Scott. They are both older now, of course, but they both have solid testimonies in Jesus Christ and it's amazing. She comes from a Lutheran home where she has gained a testimony of the Bible and Jesus Christ. After the first lesson we had with her we were a little nervous because of the way she asked some questions on faith and works so we studied like crazy trying to figure out how faith and works fit into the gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm so thankful for that opportunity because it has given me a clearer understanding of how one without the other isn't something that could help us come closer to our Heavenly Father. No, we don't keep tally of how many "good works" we do during the week but because of our faith we seek after things that are of "good report." As we returned the next week to have a lesson with her we were prepared but obviously the spirit had some other plans. Her attitude about the Church was completely different and the questions she asked were not attacking but were out of curiosity. It was great to see how the Lord blesses us and it working on His children, always. We bore testimony that there were prophets on the earth and that they are His mouthpiece. The spirit was so strong during that lesson and I know she felt it. She paused and went into some serious pondering. It was awesome. We committed her to read the Book of Mormon again, since she hadn't read, and she seemed more willing to read the words of the prophets in the ancient Americas. I'm so excited for her because I know the blessings are at her fingertips right now.

I had another "Elder Leavell's stupid moments" again this week and I thought I would share it with you. During the lesson with Kasey we were talking about a dozen different topics at the beginning so we could get to know her more. She is an awesome person I might add. Anyways the topic of Scott's mission came up and he mentioned how in his mission the missionaries would sometimes ride horses and visit the Indian reservations about 15 years ago, but when he was there they had a car. He said jokingly that he wished he would have been there at that time. So the genius that I am came out and said "haha those Indians when they saw your car were probably like 'oooooo carrs'" You can laugh right now if you want, we all did. It was funny because my companion, Scott, and Kasey stopped and looked at me dumbfounded. To this day I don't know what got into me. That is by far the dumbest comment that I have made. It was a good comic relief I guess haha.

Going back to how the area is going, I have some good news and bad news. Carlos went back to Guatemala this last Sunday. It stinks. He was way cool and I hope that we will get to see him again one day. That's the bad news. But the good news is that Carlos switched places with this kid Jonathon, his best friend since they were little kids. It's a little weird because he literally switched places but he is a way tight kid. He is a US resident and was actually illegally in Guatemala, so the complete opposite of how it normally is but it works. He had to come back to the United States to keep his residency since he is 18 and hasn't lived in the country for almost his entire life. Doesn't speak a lick of English but I interpreted for him during church and everything turned out great. It's great to have another Latin to work with so that I can work on my spanish. I noticed that it has dropped a little but when I got back in my game I was all good. We are excited to teach him and to have him enter the waters of baptism. He reminds me of how I used to be so the gospel will do wonders for him. He will do great. He is another blessing that I have seen because he came out of no where. Willis came to church again but then left after sacrament meeting so we will try and get him to stay for all 3 next time. Some other good news is that we got to meet with Annmarie again. We caught her at home again and gave her a Book of Mormon. She was so excited to have one again so she could read it. We invited her to pray and during her pray it was very evident that she has had a change of heart and is willing to put herself in a position with more focus on the Church. She is an awesome lady and with her energy she could help the ward a lot. Ruth is also doing great. She has been reading the Book of Mormon still so she is showing signs that her heart has changed as well. Gosh I can't believe how blessed we are right now. I don't deserve it but I'm thankful to be a tool in His hands that He may bless His children. I can't wait to see these people get closer and closer to their Heavenly Father through living the gospel standards. There is no other way to have eternal happiness. I know that to be true.

I love you all and wish you well. Till next week. Over and out.
Elder Leavell

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket Distributed by Deluxe Templates